Initially I thought of writing a biography with all the things I’ve studied, with bullet points of things I’ve accomplished and quoting people about my music and so on. However, I’ve seen that almost every other musician out there does this, so I preferred doing some kind of story about how did music grew and evolved within me, because I think it will be more interesting for the readers; so here it goes!
My name is Santiago Martin Gomez Kodela and I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1984.
I attended an Irish primary and secondary school and then did a degree in Business Administration from the “Universidad de Buenos Aires” (UBA).
When I was 16/17 I became interested in learning guitar, and so I did. I used to play stuff from local bands, mainly hard-rock, rock and other genres. I took individual lessons with different teachers, but I learnt a lot from a really easy-going and excellent guitarist called Marcelo Toth. Though I liked what I played and the stuff from different genres, I felt something was missing; so in that same year I started listening to METAL.
The fun fact is that I got into metal after watching the video “Left Behind” by Slipknot. There was something so seriously strange in that video but yet appealing and interesting, so I started listening to their album “Iowa” a lot (which by the way is an awesome record). This was just the first step but then I got into all kinds of metal; from power to death, black to thrash, experimental to technical, progressive to hair; you name it.
So I went on and joined a thrash band, called Deathwish. We did a couple of gigs live, but honestly things progressed really slow to my opinion, so after a friendly chat with the guys I’ve parted ways and fortunately got into a more focused and interesting band where I could exploit my potential. This was a technical thrash metal band; with 3 records already produced and with experience within the metal scene. This bandwas called Malicia (Malice in English). After joining them (2005) I started playing a lot more since the guitar work was interesting and complicated, so I dedicated a lot of time to practice to be as accurate as possible live. I’ve recorded 2 other LP’s with the band, called “Raices” (2007) and “Conciencia” (2008), being the first one a selection of re-arranged versions of Argentinian bands songs and the latter a set of original compositions.
With this band we played through-out most of the Argentinian provinces and also did a couple of international gigs in Uruguay. Things were promising, yet I felt I was lacking something within this band; had this desire for new
musical horizons and got really interested in new genres such as classical music. I wanted to know how did the logics of composition worked, I wanted to be able to play classical guitar and not just electric, so I joined the “Conservatorio Superior de Musica Mauel de Falla” where I studied guitar (2008-2012) under the tuition of one of my beloved professors Maria Catalina Bello.
A combination of studying classical music and listening to Opeth (loads of it) made me start composing music in a different way. Long songs, full of details, with combination of moods and feelings within the same piece; gave birth to a side project originally called Antropophobia (then re-named to Svet Kant). As well as classical music I also had lessons in other 2 important genres that opened my head to new musical experiences, Flamenco music and jazz.
I took lessons with 2 great icons of such genres; Manolo Yglesias (Flamenco) and Walter Malosetti (Jazz) between 2010-2012 and learnt the basics and harmonic styles of the different genres.
After parting ways (in a non-amicably manner) with Malicia I focused on classical guitar and Svet Kant. Though I felt many doors have been closed for me, now I had no commitments or responsibilities toward my former band, so I saw an opportunity to take a long-shot, which was studying and further developing my classical studies in Europe.
In early 2013 and after a big decision, a hell-lot of uncertainty and overcoming of fears I went for it. Quit my office job in Buenos Aires, said goodbye to my friends and family and moved to Dublin, Ireland where I had an audition at the “Royal Irish Academy of Music” (RIAM), got in and did a “Diploma in Music and Teaching Performance” under
the tuition of Marion Hyland. After finishing the Diploma I had another audition and entered my Degree in Music performance in 2nd year. I’m currently focused on finishing degree and then, well time will tell.
My latest work is a 4-track EP called “Wanderlust” which mixes progressive-jazz, rock, experimental stuff and several guitar-parts in beautiful counterpoint. Though it has not much to do with classical music, I like composing in different genres and styles and trying to combine elements to bring a fresher sound.
This is just a summarized version of my story within the music; I hope it gives a hint of how important this art is to me, and I want to thank you for taking the time to read this far!
I hope you enjoyed it!
Now, in case you still want to have a bullet-point of my musical CV, you’ll find it below!
Formation and Academic Studies
- 2001-2007 Individual electric guitar classes taken with different guitar teachers, mainly with Marcelo Toth.
- 2008-2012 Conservatorio Superior de Musica Manuel de Falla full time student. GPA: 9.
- 2011 One year Jazz guitar course certified by master Walter Malosetti at Walter Malosetti’s Musical workshop.
- 2010-2011 Individual Spanish flamenco guitar lessons taken with master Manolo Yglesias.
- 2013-2014 Diploma in Music and teaching performance at the Royal Irish Academy of Music.
- 2013-2014 Flamenco workshops with John Walsh at the Royal Irish Academy of Music.
- 2013-2014 Active member of guitar ensemble GuitaRIAM (Royal Irish Academy of Music).
- 2014-present Currently attengind Bachelor in Music Performance at the Royal Irish Academy of Music.
- 2014 Guitar Masterclass with Craig Ogden
- 2014 Guitar Masterclass with Odair Assad (from the Assad brothers duo)
Recordings and compositions
- 2007 recorded lead and rhythm electric guitars for technical thrash metal band Malicia in “Raices” full album.
- 2008-2009 recorded lead and rhythm electric guitars for technical thrash metal band Malicia in “Conciencia” full album.
- 2011-2012 leader and composer for long-play album “Loneliness” for band Svet Kant. Recorded all lead, rhythm, classical and acoustic guitars, vocals, back-up vocals and choral arrangements.
- 2014 composed all programmed music for a gaming company in the development of “Clash of Legends” game.
- 2014 produced 4-track EP “Wanderlust”. Composed all music, recorded all electric guitars and bass guitars.
Gigs and live performances
- 2005-2010 participated on several tours with band Malicia across Argentinian provinces and neighbouring countries. Presentations took place at: Montevideo (Uruguay), Entre Rios, Misiones, Rio Negro, Buenos Aires amongst others.
- 2008-2012 presentations organized by Manuel de Falla conservatory on guitar and choral & symphonic presentations across Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 2012 Live performances presented with flamenco anthology Graciela Bonansea Rios & flamenco dancers across Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 2013-present presentations organized by Royal Irish Academy of Music on guitar and choral & symphonic presentations across Dublin, Ireland. RIAM’s guitar and choral Christmas and Summer concerts.
- 2015-present live performances with Svet Kant band across Ireland.
Lessons and tuition
- 2013-present Individual guitar lessons teacher (classical and non-classical) in Dublin, Ireland.
- 2013-2015 John Scottus Primary and Secondary after-school individual guitar teacher in Dublin, Ireland.
- 2015 Substitute teacher at Kilternan School of Music in Dublin, Ireland. (1/2 year)